Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pre-Deployment Training

Driving into the parking lot, all I see is soldiers in uniform hauling duffel bags and ruck sacks. This sight is oddly familiar and yet it feels so new at the same time. Simon squeezes my hand and tells me he loves me as we park the car. I know it's not our real goodbye. He'll only be gone for training for three weeks, but I know in my heart that his training now means he's really deploying sooner than I'm ready for.

I've been so nervous leading up to this night, but right at this moment, I'm sort of numb to it all. A few giggles and goodbye kisses later and he's on his way. I expect the tears to start when I get back into the car, but they don't. I fear that walking into my empty house will bring on the sobs, but again I'm simply numb. I don't really know how to feel right now. Maybe I'm getting used to this whole Army wife thing after all. Maybe I'm just avoiding my true feelings so I don't have to be sad that he's not here.


No comments:

Post a Comment